Forum Title: 2019 Spring Opening
We normally close our pool (safety cover) at the end of October even though we are in Georgia and the water temperature is still high. This is because so many leaves fall into the pool that it takes hours and hours to rake up. The trade off is that the water is usually a swamp when it?s time to start reopening the pool in the spring. This year was especially bad because our pump burned up a few weeks prior to closing and the pool wasn?t circulating. I didn?t bother buying a new one until this spring since it burned up so close to the end of last season. Anyways, I?m using this thread to hold myself accountable to get the pool up and running again soon. I will post pictures everyday to show the SLAM progress (hopefully). I just installed a 2 speed pump and I plan on running it at the low setting 24/7 until my pool is clear. Day 1
Category: pool Post By: SAMUEL COOK (Waukesha, WI), 02/14/2019

My pool is approximately 23,700 gallons. I tested the CYA and it didn?t register which is typical for this time of year. I plugged those numbers into the pool calculator and it calculated shock levels would be around 11. I plan on addressing any pool needs 3 times a day: morning, mid or late afternoon and right before bedtime. I bought 10 bottles of 6% bleach from Dollar General since it?s close by. Each bottle was several months old according to the Julian date stamped on the side. Not idea but it was near and quick to get started. Each bottle adds approximately 2.2 FC according to the pool calculator. However, that?s assuming the bleach was at full strength which this bleach was not since it was several months old. I poured 6 bottles into the pool around 12 pm and did a quick brushing of the pool. I returned around 6 pm and took measurements of the FC. It came back at 3. I went ahead and added 4 more bottles of bleach into the pool. I have a sand filter and my pressure gauge isn?t working which is typical (I already ordered a new one which I do every year), but I knew it was time to backwash. It took several minutes before the water cleared. I rinsed for a minute or so before turning it back to filter. At 9 pm I took some more measurements and the FC measured at 8. Since it would be morning until I returned I went ahead and added 32 oz of cal-hypo to the pool. This would increase the FC to 14. Note: I started using cal-hypo instead of bleach after my initial ?shock? since I was able to find some for a decent price and currently having trouble finding bleach that hasn?t been on the shelves for months. I understand that cal-hypo will increase my CH levels.

- THEODORE SIMS (Westminster, CO), 03/09/2019

Day 2

- WILLARD QUINN (North Richland Hills, TX), 03/18/2019

Bruiser said: ... I bought 10 bottles of 6% bleach from Dollar General since it?s close by. Each bottle was several months old according to the Julian date stamped on the side. Not idea but it was near and quick to get started. Each bottle adds approximately 2.2 FC according to the pool calculator. However, that?s assuming the bleach was at full strength which this bleach was not since it was several months old. I poured 6 bottles into the pool around 12 pm and did a quick brushing of the pool... Click to expand... Actually lower percentage chlorine/bleach does not breakdown as quickly as higher %. Especially if it's been stored properly (cool or climate controlled) Storage is important, because if new pool chlorine (10%) was stored in the heat is not full strength.

- BYRON DANIEL (Cypress, CA), 03/01/2019

Homeowner Support & Resource Links

requestaquote Get Free Quotes callnow 888-506-9527